Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sydney Uni

Each college here (like the houses in Hogwarts - the buildings look just like it anyway!) compete against each other in sports. I live in Wesley College with three other American girls - Ashley, Makenzie and Alyson. The three of them live in a triple room in what the college calls the "American Room" because thats where they always put exchange students. I live in the basement on the other side of the building with a girl named Addie! Her real name is Adelaide which is funny because that's the capital of Southern Australia and Sydney is the capital of New South Wales! She hasn't arrived yet but I've learned so much about her already from the people that have moved in. I hear she's "top" which means the best and she's the nicest person in the whole college!
Also, since the Americans are new here we are called "Freshers" - first years. Even though we're technically 2nd years. Our college has its own Orientation which is more like initiation for the Freshers into the college -but that was last semester. This semester it is called Silly Season and they have fun things planned every night of the week! Even though there are classes going on! Tomorrow we are having a Christmas in July dinner and I have to dress up like an angel! That wont be too hard for me 0:). Did I mention we have a dining hall like Hogwarts as well? or the part where we wear black robes to formal dinners every Monday and Wednesday?! I can't wait to show you pictures!
Today Ashley and I joined the softball team for Wesley! The Australian girls told us that they were "horrific" so we didn't know what to expect but they were actually pretty good! Australians have amazing hand-eye coordination! Hopefully we'll win the cup for our college and have a big party for the victory! Our first game is in about a week so I'll let you know how we do! Tomorrow there is a Rugby match against St. Paul's College so we are very excited about that - 1. because we have only seen one match since we've been here, 2. we finally understand the game, and 3. because everyone here LOVES sports and everyone from each college comes out to watch the game and screams at the other team the whole time. Bantering is all part of the intercol sports here!
But there is some studying that has to be done when you Study Abroad. I wish someone had warned me about that! Classes begin tomorrow! However, I don't have classes Monday or Friday!!! I like having my weekend be longer than my week! This is also a good chance to tell my parents what classes I'm taking! I have to take one Engineering class - Controls, one Math class- Partial Differential Equations, one Australian studies class - Indigenous Australia, and one art class - Printmaking! I wanted to take photography but it was full so I had to settle for printmaking! Let's hope its not TOO hard!
So that's my school life so far! I have been taking pictures but definitely not enough. As soon as I get the internet working on my laptop I will post pictures of all that I am seeing here in Sydney! Makenzie and I take a photo everyday together so I'll have to post those as well!
Talk to ya lata mates!
-Nemo
P.S. My Australian accent is coming along quite well!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bewdy! Great blog post! It sounds like you're having a great time and I can't wait to visit you in Sydney! I will begin searching for dates; are there mid-terms or any dates I should avoid? I think I may even convince Dad to come w/ me! Until then, send lots of photos.

    I went to the Jackals game - we won in the 10th inning! the other team committed the same error they committed earlier in the game and we won with a walk-off run; sort of disappointing but a win none the less (they need those). We are tailgating on Friday - The F Troop will miss you! Alex will be in late Friday! Maybe I'll drag her to the game Saturday!

    xoxoxo Laloo!

    ReplyDelete